Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2016

First snowfall transforms the garden

One of the things I love about gardening is that it makes me appreciate the changing of seasons more. A week ago, I posted about buttoning up the garden for winter. Today we're getting our first snowfall of the season, and I couldn't resist taking a few pictures to capture the transformation in the garden.

Here's the area near our front door. Our garden doggie looks cold.



And a more sweeping view of part of the front garden. I love how ornamental grasses look in the snow.



We bought four mosaic stepping stones from a tea shop in Southern California that was going out of business. My husband thought I was insane, but I insisted on moving them to Flagstaff; I just couldn't part with them. Here's a look they never had in SoCal:



When I first walked outside this afternoon, I was captivated by how cute the mums looked in the snow. I snagged these guys for $.50 per plant on closeout at Wal-Mart about a month ago, and they've been doing great. They should survive the winter just fine. Here they are being adorable little puffballs amid the white powder:







This post reminds me of another thing I love about gardening. No matter the time of year, no matter how nasty the weather or how neglectful the gardener, there are always spots of beauty to be found in a garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment