Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Winter garden--now with 50% more snow!

We are just starting the third of three storms in a row to hit Flagstaff. There's about a foot of snow on the ground now, but the pictures below were taken when there were only about 6 inches. I'm not really a winter person, but I love how grasses and seed heads look against the snow. The winter garden is all about shape and texture and contrast. Now that I live where winter is a thing that keeps me from gardening for months, I'm trying to get better at finding beauty in the garden in all seasons. It's not too difficult on peaceful mornings after a snowfall.

My favorite bit of yard art looks even more whimsical in the snow:

Mums peeking through their snowy blanket:

Ornamental grasses and a mostly-covered boulder:

More mums:

Grasses and a softened boulder:

I think this is some kind of spirea:

Native grass:

Another boulder and the back side of my favorite yard art:

For some reason, this corner of the yard makes me think of Frost's "Stopping by Woods." There's a dry creek bed flowing through the evergreens and cottonwoods, but the snow has reduced it to white undulations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment