Pages

Friday, June 29, 2018

Highlights of the garden in spring

I've been slacking on my blogging lately. Life has gotten in the way this year, with the loss of a dear friend, my mom's and husband's health issues, and new responsibilities at work. So instead of my usual habit of chronicling every little thing almost every week during the growing season, I'll post a spring highlight reel.

When we last left off, it was mid-April, and the daffodils were blooming. Next to bloom was the crabapple tree near our front door. I wish I'd noted the variety--it's gorgeous. These were taken on April 28.





Fast forward to May 8, and a bit more is stirring in the garden. Bog plants are coming back from their winter sleep:



Mixed border is greening up:





By May 15, a little more is happening:



And we have some flowers! The irises are blooming:









My favorite iris and the only one I know the name of: Batik.



And so are the daylilies:



There's even a little activity in what I pretentiously refer to as the potager (inside my head anyway. I'd get laughed out of my own house if I tried that out loud). The garlic I planted last November is doing well:


And the lovage, rhubarb, and walking onions are thriving:





In late winter/early spring, I cleared some weedy mess and expanded some beds:




In June, the soil starts warming up, and the garden transforms quickly.

By June 7, the mixed border is getting bushier:





And lots of stuff is blooming - like larkspur and snapdragons:


And Canterbury bells:



And delphiniums:




The pond plants are getting bigger - and we have a bench now:



Vegetable seedlings are transplanted into the "potager":



And this morning, as June comes to a close, everything including the weeds is growing, often an inch or more a day. I'll give today's pictures their own post, because just like the weeds, I can't restrain myself this time of year.


No comments:

Post a Comment